Register to Vote
- Voting Guide: General Information
- Voter Registration Form Bergen County - English
- Voting Guide - Korean
- Voter Registration Form Bergen County - Korean
- Voter Registration Form Bergen County - Spanish
VOTER REGISTRATION INFORMATION:
One may register to vote if they are a native born or naturalized citizen who is:
- A citizen of the United States
- 18 years of age and a resident of New Jersey and the County of Bergen for at least 30 days
- You are not serving a sentence of incarceration as the result of a conviction of any indictable offense under the laws of this or another state or of the United States.
WHERE AND HOW TO REGISTER TO VOTE:
You can now register to vote online in New Jersey!!! Click here for more information. Registration forms are also available from the municipal clerk's office, commissioner of registration /superintendent of elections, motor vehicle agencies, public assistance offices, libraries and the League of Woman Voters of New Jersey. You may complete the registration form and mail it to Bergen County Commissioner of Registration/Superintendent of Elections, One Bergen County Plaza, Room 380, Hackensack, NJ 07601. If you have any questions, you may call Laura Borchers, Municipal Clerk at 201 784-2965.
Voter registration is permanent, but you may need to re-register if:
- Change your name: you may vote at the polls only once in the next election by signing your registration sheet with your previous name and new name. You must re-register in your new name.
- Move within Bergen County: by the 21st day prior to the election, file a change of address form with the municipal clerk or county commissioner of registration.
DISTRICT 1 - Community Center, 453 Broadway
DISTRICT 2 - Norwood Municipal Complex, 455 Broadway - Council Chambers
ABSENTEE BALLOT: "No Excuses Absentee Ballot Law" became effective July 7, 2005. This law provides for the following changes in the absentee ballot law:
- A voter no longer needs a reason to vote by absentee ballot for any election
- Any voter may request automatic transmittal of an absentee ballot application for all future General elections, until they notify the county clerk to stop sending the application.
You may complete an application for absentee ballot and mail it to the County Clerk's Office, Election Division, One Bergen County Plaza, Room 112, Hackensack, NJ 07601. Applications are available in the Office of the Borough Clerk. An absentee ballot application must be received by the County Clerk's office seven (7) days prior to the election. Post marks do not count. You may submit your request any time prior to the deadline for an election in the calendar year. The absentee ballot will be mailed to the address you request. You may also apply in person to the County Clerk by 3:00 p.m. the day prior to the election.
Once you receive an absentee ballot, you may not vote at your polling place!
Pursuant to the federal "Help America Vote Act of 2002, if you registered to vote by mail in Bergen County after January 1, 2003 and have not voted in a federal election you were required to provide identification to the Bergen County Commissioner of Registration. If you did not provide identification or if it could not be verified you will be required to provide identification at the Polls. Identification may include:
- Driver's license
- Student or job ID
- Military or gov't ID
- Store membership ID
- U.S. Passport
- Car registration
- Gov't check or document
- Non-photo driver's license
- Rent receipt or utility bill
- Sample ballot
If you show identification you will be permitted to vote in the voting machine. If you do not show identification you will be permitted to vote by provisional ballot and have until the close of business on the second day after the election to provide identification to the Bergen County Superintendent of Elections/Commissioner of Registration. If you have any questions, you may call 1-877-NJ-VOTER (1-877-658-6837).
NEW JERSEY DIVISION OF ELECTIONS: www.njelections.org
NEW JERSEY ELECTION LAW ENFORCEMENT COMMISSION (ELEC): www.njelections.org
BERGEN COUNTY CLERK, ELECTION DIVISION: www.bergencountyclerk.org